On Sunday afternoon, 18 Dec, we had another meeting of the monthly Stampin' Up Christmas Card Club. Each of us takes a turn being hostess, and December was my month.
I had seen a photo online of these little penguin peeps and decided I wanted to make them for CCC! They were a total hit. Many commented how adorable they were, and others took their photos!
Following is the recipe and the process I used, in case you'd like to make your own little army of appetizers.
18-Jumbo, pitted black olives
18-Medium, pitted black olives
1-8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 carrot, peeled
1. Slice 18-1/4" thick rounds from peeled carrot.
2. Cut a small notch out of each carrot round to form feet (base).
3. Save the cut out notches for beaks.
4. Set the carrot bases on the cutting board in a single layer, ready to accept the penguin bodies.
5. The hole end of the Jumbo olives will be the bottom. If it is not level, slice a small amount off the olive so it will sit level.
6. Cut slit from top to bottom of each Jumbo olive.
7. Using the tip of a butter knife, carefully (gently) insert softened cream cheese into each Jumbo olive. Use knife edge to smooth cream cheese along bottom and front of olive.
8. Use a clean paper towel to remove any cream cheese that remains on olives.
9. As you complete steps 5-8 on each Jumbo olive, set the stuffed olive directly on a carrot base.
10. Repeat step 5-9 for each Jumbo olive.
11. Cut a small slice in each Medium olive to insert a beak.
12. If necessary, cut beaks to 1/8" thickness for easier insertion.
13. Carefully (slowly) insert beak into Medium olive, and then center the beak on face.
14. As you complete steps 11-13 for each Medium olive, set the head on the Jumbo olive body lining up the beak, white chest and notch in feet, then secure with a toothpick inserted from head to base.
If you're transporting these babies
1. Line your plate with waxed paper.
2. Lie penguins on their backs side by side.
3. Wrap plate for transport.
4. Stand them up in rows on the plate when you're arranging your refreshments.
Don't forget to snap their picture! You never know how attached you might get to these little guys: one person told me, "They each have their own personality!"
Look for another post, sharing the other yummy refreshments I took to Christmas Card Club this month!
Thanks so much for visiting with me!!
Welcome to Simply Stated!
Thank you so much for stopping by. This blog is something I've set up just for fun -- yours and mine! There are any number of things that may be discussed here from everyday living in the California desert to digital scrapbooking to my favorite books to cardmaking to the art of letter writing to caring for feral cats to movies I like. After you read my bio, you should have a good sense of other topics you may find here. I welcome your comments and hope you return again and again!